Monday, August 18, 2008

Arrieta shines in Beijing


The Orioles fifth round pick in last years draft has had a busy year. He was part of the futures game and also is currently on the USA Olympic team.

Arrieta started his first game in Beijing today. He went six scoreless innings in team USA's win over the host country China 9-1. Arrieta gave up just two hits and struck out seven to earn the win for his team. Mike Koplove, Casey Weathers, and Blaine Neal all threw one inning with Neal closing it out in the ninth. Team USA combined to give up just one run on four hits in the victory. The team improved to 3-2 in round robin play so far at this years olympics.

Arrieta would go on to say "I think the reason I was successful was because I had pretty good command of my fastball.In the later innings, I was throwing breaking balls for strikes, and I think I could have done a little better job of throwing more off-speed pitches earlier on in the count. The big thing that helped me today was the command of my fastball to overpower hitters with it and using the off-speed when I had to."

Team USA continues play Tuesday August 19Th against Chinese Taipei and on Wednesday August 20Th against Japan. Both games are at 7am Eastern time at the Wukesong Main Field.

No comments: